Indoor Activity Space for School-Age Children
(a) In addition to Section 101238.3, the following shall apply:
(b) In combination programs, indoor activity space provided for school-age child care center children shall be physically separated from space provided for infant care and child care center children.
(1) Moveable walls or partitions, if used, shall be at least four feet high and shall be safe for use around children.
(2) Physical separation between school-age and other child care center children shall not apply when a planned activity is being conducted.
(c) School-age child care programs that meet the requirements of Health and Safety Code Section 1596.806 are exempt from square-footage requirements for indoor activity space.
(1) Health and Safety Code Sections 1596.806(a), (a)(1), (a)(2) and (d) pertain to the exemption from square-footage requirements for indoor activity space for school-age child care programs that meet the requirements of Health and Safety Code Section 1596.806.
Health and Safety Code Sections 1596.806(a), (a)(1), (a)(2) and (d) state:
(a) A room used as a classroom by a schoolage child care program shall not be required to meet the square footage or toilet requirements for child day care centers if the program is operated on either of the following:
(1) A functioning schoolsite in the same facilities that have housed school children during the day, before or after school hours, or before and after school hours.
(2) A functioning schoolsite in facilities certified as usable as a classroom for instructions....
(d) For purposes of this section, "schoolage child care program" means a program for children who are four years and nine months or older and are currently enrolled in a school or are dependent children living within the same household as a child attending a school, operated by an entity that contracts with the school to provide staff and program....
(d) The capacity per room for a school-age child care program that meets the requirements of Health and Safety Code Section 1596.806 shall not exceed the number of children for which a room of this size is commonly approved for school use during the school day.
(e) The exemption from square-footage requirements for indoor activity space is only valid if the entire program is operated in accordance with Health and Safety Code Section 1596.806.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 1596.81, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 1596.72, 1596.73, 1596.806 and 1596.81, Health and Safety Code.