Comment on page
Teacher Aide Qualifications and Duties
(a) In addition to Section 101216, the following shall apply:
(b) Notwithstanding Section 101216(d), centers may use aides who are less than 18 years old provided they are either:
(1) High school graduates.
(2) Currently participating in an occupational program conducted by an accredited high school or college.
(c) Verification that an aide who is less than 18 years old meets the qualifications required in (b)(1) or (b)(2) above shall be obtained and kept at the center.
(d) An aide assisting a fully qualified teacher (as specified in Section 101216.1(c)) in the supervision of up to 18 preschool-age children pursuant to Section 101216.3 shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Completion of six postsecondary semester or equivalent quarter units in early childhood education or child development, or
(2) Completion of at least two postsecondary semester units or equivalent quarter units in early childhood education or child development each semester or quarter following initial employment, and
(3) Continuation in the educational program each semester or quarter until six units have been completed.
(e) An aide shall work only under the direct supervision of a teacher.
(1) An aide who is 18 years of age or older, and who meets the requirements of this section and Section 101216, may escort and/or assist children in going to the bathroom, and may supervise napping children as specified in Section 101230(c)(1), without being under the direct supervision of a teacher.
NOTE: Authority cited: Section 1596.81, Health and Safety Code. Reference: Sections 1596.72, 1596.73, 1596.81, 1596.87, 1597.05 and 1597.059, Health and Safety Code.
Last modified 5mo ago